Recipe by Drazen
I have tried many different pesto recipes and tried to combine what I liked most from all of them to create this pesto sauce. I LOVE baked tomatoes with basil and balsalmic vinegar, so that is why I added these three to the recipe. The asparagus was on hand and thought it would bring a nice flavor to the recipe, as well as the scallions.
Top Review by Margo59
I made this just like written. It was just ok to me. I gave it 3 stars, but my family thought it was a 4 star. If I were to make it again, I think I would just use the bottled Classico Basil Pesto. This pesto did not have the flavor I like in the bottled sauce. I always enjoy making new recipes, so thank you for posting.
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh thyme
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
CHICKEN VEGGIES PASTA
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons McCormick grill seasoning
- 2 cups flour
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup scallion, chopped
- 2 cups asparagus, chopped
- 12 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
Directions See How It's Made
- Place pin nuts in a non-stick skillet and toast over medium heat until slightly browned (3 to 5 mins).
- While pin nuts are toasting, put remaining 9 ingredients in a food processor.
- When pin nuts are toasted add them to the food processor and mix pesto sauce until smooth.
- In a large pot, start boiling water for pasta.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- While water is coming to a boil, cut up the asparagus, scallions and tomatoes, keeping them all separate from one another.
- Cook spaghetti according to box directions. Add asparagus to water 5 minutes before pasta is fully cooked, strain, and replace in pot over lowest heat setting. Add pesto sauce to spaghetti and mix.
- Heat oil in oven proof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Fillet chicken breasts in half, sprinkle with grill seasoning, coat with flour and place in skillet and cook 2-3 mins on each side until slightly browned.
- Add tomatoes and scallions to chicken and place skillet into preheated oven.
- Cook chicken for 15-20 minutes.
- When chicken is done, remove from oven.
- Place Pesto-asparagus pasta on a plate and place a slice of chicken on top. Garnish as desired.