Recipe by Mad Maryno
I suck at baking. We needed a quick bread to go with pea soup as its mysteriously cold lately. We dumped approximate ingredients in a bowl, mixed them with a bottle of beer and it ended up quite delicious. We sprinkled it with sesame seeds but I guess poppy seed would be better. You judge who is right.
Top Review by Chocolatl
I just wanted to let you know that not all beers are vegetarian. Many use isinglass, which is made from fish, as a clarifying agent. To keep this vegan, you will need to make sure that the beer you use does not use animal products in brewing.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1⁄3 cup melted Earth Balance margarine or 1⁄3 cup olive oil or 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 (355 ml) bottlebrown beer
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds or 2 tablespoons poppy seeds or 2 tablespoons oatmeal or 2 tablespoons dried onion, to sprinkle
- 2 teaspoons melted margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Grease a loaf pan.
- Sift all 4 first ingredients in a big bowl.
- Add the margarine, then the beer.
- Mix until just mixed.
- Put in the loaf pan, sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
- Shmear the top of the loaf with the remaining margarine.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Serve with soup!