Recipe by Caryn Dalton
After discovering the secret to feeding my flock with less, I also discovered that we had some ranch dressing that wasn't our favorite. Rather than throw it out, I put together this quick recipe and we loved it. Now, I make it often. If you have other quick-cooking side dishes to pair with this, you will have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes.
Top Review by Three Kids Make Me Crazy
This was really good and easy. I had to use about twice as much panko as instructed but otherwise followed it to a t. Three breasts didn't fill my family of five so I guess next time I'll use five or six. Thanks Caryn!
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless skinless
- 1⁄2 cup ranch dressing (you may need more)
- 1 cup fine chopped dried breadcrumbs like japanese panko breadcrumbs, with your favorite herbs added (you may need more)
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put ranch dressing into medium sized bowl.
- Put bread crumbs with herbs and wheat germ (optional but adds a fantastic buttery-nutty crunch) added into another bowl next to the ranch dressing bowl.
- Pound chicken breasts into 1/4" thickness with cooking mallot. See my recipe for Mysterious Multiplying Chicken for directions on how to do this if you don't know how.
- Cut chicken breasts into strips over the bowl of ranch dressing so that strips fall into bowl. Stir with fingers to coat chicken pieces well.
- Wash hands, then pour enough of your favorite cooking oil (I use cold-pressed virgin olive oil for it's health benefits) into the bottom of a heavy skillet just to coat. Heat pan on med-high heat just until oil begins to smoke then turn heat to medium. You can use non-stick spray, but chicken doesn't get that pretty golden color and tends to get blacken as well. If you can handle two pans at the same time, you may want to consider that because two chicken breasts will fill two skillets worth.
- Take each chicken piece and dip into the bread crumbs and carefully lay each piece in the pan leaving only enough room between pieces to turn pieces with tongs. Cook approximately 3-4 minutes each side OR until golden brown each side (CHECK AFTER 2 MINUTES YOUR STOVE MAY COOK HOTTER THAN MINE). Cut into one piece to make sure it is done before removing pieces from skillet.
- Enjoy your juicy tender chicken.