Recipe by ~*Chou*~
This cake is very tasty, chocolatey and moist. You'll dirty up a few bowls, but it's worth it!
Top Review by Chef Dudo
It is certainly worth washing up the bowls! Indeed, it is a super tasty chocolate cake. The only thing I did different was adding the chocolate chips to the cocoa/water and mixing it all together. Baked the cake in a loaf pan holding 9 cups and that was the perfect size. The cake baked in exactly 50 minutes. Very yummy! Thanks for posting.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 3⁄4 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and lightly flour a 9" square pan.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir cocoa and water into a smooth paste.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Mix in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- Mix in the cocoa paste until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into pan and bake in oven for 40-50 minutes, or until baked.
- Let cool slightly and serve.