Recipe by WildLightning
This is a fantastic version of tamale pie, and it is really very good looking.
Top Review by Rollin in the Dough!
This is a really fun dish to serve! The only change I made was to use pinto beans instead of black (just personal preference) and added a small can of sliced olives. The bake time is right on! It has good flavor but was a little on the sweet side with the corn bread. I am definately going to make this again but will add some diced jalepenos to the meat mixture to give it a little more kick! Thanks ;) Spring PAC 2010
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- 1 cup peeled and diced carrot
- 1 cup diced red bell peppers or 1 cup green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup salsa
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes (15-oz. can, undrained)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced olive
- 1 1⁄2 cups black beans (15-oz. can)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces grated cheddar cheese or 4 ounces monterey jack cheese
- 2 (8 1/2 ounce) boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 2 medium eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- minced scallion
- chopped fresh cilantro
- sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the ground beef. Drain.
- Add the onion and garlic, cover, and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add the cumin, coriander, oregano, enough water to prevent sticking,and the carrots, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers, cover, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, salsa, beans and olives, cover, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in 1/2 box of the Jiffy cornbread mix (dry).
- Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking oil.
- Spread the mixture in the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly on top.
- Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, milk and 1 1/2 box of the Jiffy corbread mix.
- Pour the batter directly on top of the mixture, pressing it down a little with a spatula.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the top is golden and a knife inserted into the topping comes out clean.
- Garnish with minced scallions, chopped cilantro and sour cream.