3 hrs 7 mins
Dr. MomPhD's Note:
This is a recipe my grandmother gave to me to make for my children. I use it every Christmas for my children's school mates.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup butter or 1/3 cup margarine
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- creamy frosting (optional)
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 3 -4 tablespoons milk
- 2Beat butter and shortening on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- 3Add sugar, baking powder, and a dash of salt.
- 4Beat until combined, scraping bowl.
- 5Beat in egg and vanilla.
- 6Beat in as much of flour as you can with mixer.
- 7Stir in remaining flour.
- 8Divide dough in half. If necessary, cover and chill dough for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- 9Roll onto a lightly floured surface, roll half at a time to 1/8 inch thick.
- 10Using a 2 1/2-inch cookie or biscuit cutter, cut into desired shapes.
- 11Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- 12Bake in a 375 degree oven for 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are lightly browned.
- 13Cool on a rack
- 14Creamy Frosting.
- 15Beat shortening, vanilla, and extract with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- 16Slowly add half of the powdered sugar, beating well.
- 17Add 2 Tablespoons of the milk.
- 18Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar and enough remaining milk to reach spreading consistency.
- 19You can add food coloring but remember to reduce milk slightly.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Super Sugar Cookies With Creamy Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (29 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 186.0
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 10.5 mg
- Sodium 25.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 18.9 g
- Protein 0.9 g