Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
Tired of the usual meatloaf and looking for something a little different, I came upon this idea of making do with what I had on hand. It's not the like most "stuffed" recipes and it's certain to please the Meat & Taters type of eaters I seem to cater to. Feel free to adjust the seasonings and ingredients to your tastes, but I do hope you will try this and enjoy as much as my family does. This make a very large pan that can easily serve10-12 adults. Don't let the long list of ingredients fool you, this is super easy to prepare and works wonderfully in the crock pot!
- 6 ounces Stove Top stuffing mix, prepared (I use mushroom onion or sage flavored, low sodium works wonderful too)
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 lb fresh mushroom, stems removed, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 lbs ground beef (chuck or round is what I prefer to use)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sage
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 slices bread, torn
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 10 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 10 ounces condensed golden mushroom soup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄3 cup 2% low-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
- Prepare the stuffing according to directions, (if using left overs you will need approximately 2 cups roughly broken up). Set aside.
- In medium skillet, cook the mushrooms and onions in the butter until they are soft and tender, approximately 10 minutes over medium heat. Season lightly with salt and pepper (the remaining salt and pepper will be used in the meat loaf so go easy with this step). When done done remove 2 tablespoons and add to stuffing mixture.
- Roughly tear the bread and place in the milk and let soak while you cook the onions and mushrooms.
- In large mixing bowl place the ground beef and break up slightly so the seasonings can be easily mixed inches Season the beef with remaining salt and pepper. Add the milk soaked bread, onions, mushrooms and beaten eggs. Mix thoroughly.
- Divide meat mixture in half and spread one half onto a long sheet of plastic wrap (making the bottom layer approximately 8" x 12"). Mix the 2 tablespoons onion/mushroom mixture lightly into the stuffing. Spread this mixture evenly over the bottom layer of meat and top with remaining meat. Shape to cover the stuffing layer completely and seal the top to the bottom layer.
- Taking the shorter end of the meat loaf, start rolling slowly until you have a complete log. Place in lightly sprayed 10" x 15" casserole dish.
- Cover with topping mixture and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Place on lined baking sheet and bake approximately 1-1/2 hours or until done. Drain grease from dish (I use my gravy fat separator for this) and spoon gravy over meat loaf. Slice and serve hot.
- If making in crock pot do all the above and bake approximately 6-8 hours on low (depending upon YOUR settings, every crock pot cooks differently).