Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 loaf French bread (2 feet long)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 lb sweet sopressata, sliced thick from the deli and chopped
- 3 -4 ounces pepperoni, chopped
- 10 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 10 ounces shredded provolone cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 425°; defrost spinach in the microwave, 6 minutes on high; wring spinach dry in a clean kitchen towel.
- Split bread lengthwise and hollow it out; cut in half crosswise, making 4 shells for pizzas.
- Heat a skillet over med-high heat; add in olive oil, then the sausage; brown and crumble sausage using a wooden spoon.
- Add in bell pepper, onions, and garlic; cook 3-5 minutes, then add in the spinach.
- Remove pan from heat; season with salt and pepper; transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Mix the sausage mixture with the ricotta, parmesan, sopressata, and pepperoni.
- Fill pizzas with the mixture; top with mounded mozzarella and provolone cheese.
- Place pizzas on a cookie sheet and bake 10-12 minutes until cheese melts and bubbles and bread is super crisp.
- Top pizzas with oregano and hot pepper flakes; serve immediately.
i make a very similar version of this and it's fantastic ... very filling!