Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 4 large mcintosh apples, cored
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking oatmeal, mix or 1⁄4 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, a healthy grating
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄8 cup golden raisin, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄4 cup walnut pieces or 1⁄4 cup pecans
- 1 pint dulce de leche ice cream (caramel) or 1 pint caramel-swirl ice cream
- whipped cream, in a canister
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Sprinkle cored apples with lemon juice. Mix next 7 ingredients and over-stuff apples.
- Bake 20 minutes in a small oven-safe dish.
- Transfer apples to small bowls with a spoon and top with ice cream and whipped cream.
I didn't use the raisins, but otherwise followed the recipe. Delicious with vanilla ice cream on the side!
These look good, but THEY ARE NOT GLUTEN-FREE! Wheat-free and gluten-free are not the same thing. Oatmeal has gluten in it.
I made these without the raisins and topped with whipped cream. The filling is enough for probably 6-8 apples (unless I didn't cut out enough apple!) I think it would be easier to just put a bit of butter on the top of the filling, rather than mix it into the filling first. Very good and easy to make.