2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 55 mins
My mother has been making this stew since I was a little kid. It grows on you until one day you crave it! Adapted from a Heinz ketchup recipe. I do prefer Heinz in the recipe as well. Stew is good both with and without the wine if there is none on hand, just increase the water a 1/4 cup. This freezes very well too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb boneless cubed beef stew meat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, chunked
- 1 medium onion, cut in eigths
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) can baby sweet peas (I love Lesueur!)
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1In a large saucepan or pot or electric skillet, brown the stew beef in the oil.
- 2Add water, 1 small onion, salt, Worcestershire, and pepper.
- 3Cover and simmer 45 minutes or until beef is almost tender, stirring occasionally.
- 4Add potatoes, carrots, and onion.
- 5Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 6Stir in ketchup and wine. You can eliminate the wine form the recipe if need be, just add 1/4 cup more water instead.
- 7Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 8Stir in the peas.
- 9Cover and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- 10If desired, you can thicken the sauce with a flour/water mixture.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Super Stew
Serving Size: 1 (377 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 668.1
- Calories from Fat 298
- Total Fat 33.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 118.0 mg
- Sodium 1337.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 15.1 g
- Protein 37.9 g