Recipe by Gaia22
My mother has been making this stew since I was a little kid. It grows on you until one day you crave it! Adapted from a Heinz ketchup recipe. I do prefer Heinz in the recipe as well. Stew is good both with and without the wine if there is none on hand, just increase the water a 1/4 cup. This freezes very well too.
- 1 lb boneless cubed beef stew meat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, chunked
- 1 medium onion, cut in eigths
- 1⁄2 cup tomato ketchup
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) canbaby sweet peas (I love Lesueur!)
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan or pot or electric skillet, brown the stew beef in the oil.
- Add water, 1 small onion, salt, Worcestershire, and pepper.
- Cover and simmer 45 minutes or until beef is almost tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes, carrots, and onion.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in ketchup and wine. You can eliminate the wine form the recipe if need be, just add 1/4 cup more water instead.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the peas.
- Cover and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- If desired, you can thicken the sauce with a flour/water mixture.