Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is winner! It's just a fantastic, refreshing, and tasty, and it's easy. Source: Bon Appetit Barbecue edition. They're not often wrong!
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons catsup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 bunch spinach, washed, trimmed, and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups bean sprouts (or your favorite sprouts)
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup water chestnut, canned, sliced
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry roasted sunflower seeds
- Puree first ingredients in blended or processor until smooth and emulsified . Set dressing aside.
- Cook bacon in heavy medium skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels. Crumbled. Combine spinach and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add enough dressing to season to taste. Toss well. Garnish salad with bacon and serve.
I could'nt wait to try this, and you are right, bon Appetit is seldom wrong! Great for our long hot Australian summers, just around the corner, thanks!