Recipe by Super San Mateo Chefs
These stuffed shells are amazing! These are a staple in our house. Serve with a salad and fresh garlic bread for a great complete meal.
Top Review by jane49423
We all really liked this. I thought it might take more shells, and cooked a whole 1 lb box, but I only used about 1/2, just like the recipe said. I added some fresh basil, too. Made it in the morning and cooked it for dinner.
- 8 ounces shell macaroni, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, chopped finely
- 1 (15 ounce) ricotta cheese
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated and divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 (26 ounce) jar marinara sauce, any flavor you like
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- While pasta is cooking, cook chopped sausage until browned and cooked thoroughly inside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all remaining ingredients except marinara sauce(reserve 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese). Add salt and pepper to taste. Add cooked sausage to mixture.
- Drain pasta when it is al dente.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce in the bottom of a 9x12 baking pan.
- Pick up one shell at a time and carefully stuff 1-2 tablspoons of the mixture into the shell. Place the stuffed shells next to one another inside the baking dish.
- Pour the remaining marinara sauce all over the tops of the stuffed shells.
- Cover dish with foil and bake approximately 40 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling.
- In the remaining 5 minutes, sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/2 parmesan cheese on top.
- Serve hot!