1/2 Photos of Super-Special Banana Bread Two Ways
1 hr 30 mins
I wanted the ultimate banana bread recipe, so I started tinkering. For me, this is it. I add whiskey to the batter and then spices and nuts to one loaf and milk chocolate chips to the other. This bread is very dense, moist, and sweet. It has a sugary crust and I underbake it, so that there is no chance for a dry loaf. You could obviously do both loafs with the nuts (I use walnuts, but you could use pecans or any other nut you prefer) or both with the chips (again, you could sub semi sweet, white, peanut butter, butterscotch, toffee--etc). I make both because I love the walnuts and DH loves the milk chocolate :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 bananas (use completely black bananas, this is very important)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon whiskey
- 1 1/3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- cinnamon sugar (for dusting pan)
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- brown sugar (for dusting pan)
- 1Heat oven to 325°. Grease or spray 2 loaf pans. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar in one and dust as you would with flour. Sprinkle brown sugar in the other and dust.
- 2In a large bowl, mash bananas with a masher or by well washed hands.
- 3Mix next 11 ingredients (through pudding mix) by hand, first dissolving soda in buttermilk-- use a larger container as it will foam up quite a bit.
- 4Divide batter mixture in half. To one half add walnuts, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour into pan dusted with cinnamon sugar. To the other half of batter add chocolate chips. Pour into brown sugar dusted pan.
- 5Bake at 325° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle tops with cinnamon sugar or brown sugar.
- 6Bake an additional 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out ALMOST clean. Totally clean will mean a dryer loaf.
- 7Let cool 15 minutes after removing from oven and remove from pans. Or, bake in tin foil pans and let cool, cover with foil, slide into freezer bags and freeze.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Super-Special Banana Bread Two Ways
Serving Size: 1 (1755 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2699.3
- Calories from Fat 1017
- Total Fat 113.0 g
- Saturated Fat 16.5 g
- Cholesterol 320.1 mg
- Sodium 1958.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 400.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.5 g
- Sugars 263.3 g
- Protein 32.5 g