Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 35 mins
I grow spaghetti squash in my garden and often try different ways to cook it. This is one of my favorite recipes for spaghetti squash, I found one similar in an old cookbook and just added my own things. It is really yummy!!
- Wash spaghetti squash then cut in half, lengthwise.
- Scrape out seeds.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on spaghetti squash halves, add butter then put in baking pan with 1/4 cup water.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, as squash is cooking, put stewed tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, garlic and spinach in sauce pan, bring to a low boil and simmer 30 minutes.
- Drain off juice, add spaghetti sauce, bring back to a boil, simmer 15-20 minutes .
- Using a fork, scrape squash from shell, starting at one end finishing at the other.
- It will look just like spaghetti noodles.
- Put squash in one bowl and sauce in another bowl.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese and garlic bread or a salad.
This was great! I had the feeling from the way you described it that it was sort of a improvisationally created recipe, so instead of mushrooms (which I didn't have) I added one whole minced yellow squash. I also just added a ton of garlic (I don't even remember how much). Great--Thanks for a great recipe! I've never had spaghetti squash before and now I think I will have it often!!
Delicious! I ate waaaay too much! I added fresh basil to mine and fresh mushrooms and it was so good! First time to try spaghetti squahs, but now not my last! Just a note to others that had a difficult time cutting in 1/2 - my squash had a sticker on it that said to microwave to soften skin. So I used a fork to puncture a few times and put it in for about 3 or 4 minutes and it was easy to cut. Anyway, mmmm! Thanks!
Oh dear.. I couldn't stop eating this! This was my first time trying spaghetti squash and I'm completely addicted now. I had baked the squash earlier in the day so it was a really quick meal to prepare later on in the evening. I improvised myself; I had a bunch of shrimp that I added and some leftover homemade sauce from a previous night. Everything was just so delicious (and low in calories!) that I had to have a second helping. And the leftovers are looking really tempting right now! Thank you!!