Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a delicious and nutritious soup. I get compliments on this from everyone I have served it to so far. It is full of flavor and is my husband's favorite!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, sliced thin
- 3 carrots, sliced thin
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans or 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces whole wheat spiral pasta
- 1 bunch kale, cleaned and cut into 1 inch strips
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large soup pot.
- Add onions, garlic, carrots and celery and sauté until translucent (about 3 minutes).
- Add beans, tomatoes, chicken or vegetable stock, water, basil, thyme and oregano. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add pasta and cook until al dente (about 6 to 8 minutes).
- Add kale and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serving steaming hot with some garlic bread and garnished with fresh basil.
I love this soup I made the whole lot for three of us and have frozen the leftovers in portions to take to work for lunch. This is sooo healthy but also very tasty - not always an easy combination to accomplish! I didn't change a single thing and it was perfect! Thank you!