Recipe by Codychop
This is the Quick Soft Breadsticks recipe with a modified cooking technique for the best Pretzel Rolls ever! The dough only has to rise ONCE for 20-30 min.--so easy. I serve them with Sauerkraut Chowder for a Bavarian theme dinner. Everyone loves these!
Top Review by Dib's
Simply Outrageous! Very easy to make-great flavor-LOVE the crusty topping and soft? Yeah, these are soft and they rock! I will be using these rolls for Chick-Fil-A clone sandwichs tonight. The "sample" I tried was perfect warm with melted butter-this will be my new "go-to" sandwich roll recipe. I made 10 rather than 12, I wanted them a little bigger! Thanks for Posting!
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 6 cups water
- 3 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together brown sugar, salt, and yeast in big bowl.
- Mix together oil and water and add this to the sugar and yeast mix.
- Add the flour and mix to a nice doughy (not sticky) consistency. Knead with mixer a few minutes.
- Divide dough into 12 balls and shape into rolls (I like long oval shapes) and let rise on greased foil cover sheet for 20-30 minute until nice and puffy. (I raise mine in a warmed oven--preheat to lowest setting then turn OFF, THEN put in the dough to rise).
- Meanwhile, bring water and baking soda to a SIMMER in a wide pan with straight sides and preheat oven to 375.
- Place 4 rolls in the water and simmer 1 minute then flip and simmer 1 minute more.
- Drain and place on cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining rolls.
- Brush rolls with egg white and sprinkle generously with kosher salt. Slash decoratively with a SHARP blade.
- Bake until 'pretzel' brown, about 12-15 minutes.