Susiecat too's Note:
This is an even sneakier version of the "sneaky chef" brownies by Missy Chase Lapine. It is made with some of her "purple puree" but also utilizes black beans, which is a trick from Weight Watchers. No added fat to this recipe! No cholesterol! And if you omit the chocolate chips, it is vegan. It makes a very good, not overly sweet, cake-y brownie. NOTE: the purple puree part of the recipe makes a good 1 1/2 - 2 cups. This recipe uses only 1/2 cup, so reserve remainder for another use. It freezes well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup flax seed meal
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves (a 9-oz. bag)
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (not in syrup) or 2 cups frozen blueberries (not in syrup)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1Preheat oven to 350 F, and grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- 2Mix the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- 3In a food processor or blender, mix the spinach, blueberries and lemon juice. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl and continue pureeing until completely smooth. Transfer all but 1/2 cup to a storage container.
- 4Into the bowl of the food processor, along with the remaining 1/2 cup purple puree, add the black beans, coffee, sugar and vanilla. Puree until smooth.
- 5Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- 6If desired, add chocolate chips and nuts.
- 7Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Super Sneaky Brownies
Serving Size: 1 (81 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 110.1
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 68.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 2.7 g