Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This sloppy Joe recipe has a little kick to it. We loved it the way it is posted but you might want to cut back on the spices if you don't like food with a kick to it. I purchased a Women's Day Magazine entitled Slow Cooking and I have been posted several recipes from this magazine. I have to say not one of the recipes didn't get a FANTASTIC! rating.
- 3 lbs 90% lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄4 cups ketchup
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 tablespoons mustard
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- hamburger bun
- Brown ground beef, onion and garlic in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat in two batches, stirring to break up clumps of meat. Drain and discard fat.
- In slow cooker, combine ketchup, bell pepper, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard and chili powder. Stir in beef mixture.
- Cover; cook on Low 6 to 8 hours. Spoon onto hamburger buns.
my family really liked this...will be making again...tfs
I cut this recipe in half and made it with 93% lean beef, which I imagine is pretty comparable to the 90% beef listed on the ingredients list. I must say there was not much of any fat to discard, certainly as little or less than I'd get from any other sloppy joe recipe. This one was nice and tangy. I served it on rice rather than buns.
This was quite good but on balance I wouldn't make it again. Think it was just too rich. I did try to remove all the fat/grease after browning but at the end of 6 hours there was quite a pool. Even though I removed the pooled grease...seemed over rich. Sorry.