Recipe by tree luee dee
This comes from my "Taste of Home" magazine (Apr/May 99). I had always just opened a can of Manwich for dinner, but one day I dared to make "real" sloppy joes, and well, there's no going back now. Trust me, they're fabulous!
Top Review by Stir crazy
I also found this recipe in Taste of Home and have made it many times. Instead of crushed or diced tomatoes, I prefer using stewed. I add sugar or vinegar to taste. More sugar to cut the acidity in the tomatoes or adding more vinegar for a more tangy taste.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 stalks celery & leaves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 2⁄3 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 8 -10 hamburger buns, split
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook beef, onion, celery and green pepper until the meat is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender; drain.
- Add the next nine ingredients; mix well.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon 1/2 cup meat mixture onto each bun.