Prep 15 mins
Cook 23 mins
this is just a refrigerated slice and bake version of the popular cookie that is often called the Mexican wedding cookie.. these square cookies are cut from a block of chilled dough and powdered sugar is lightly sprinkled over the top..we prefer this version...use a food processor to grind the pecans finely
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely ground pecans
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar, for dusting
- sift the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon into a medium bowl and set aside.
- in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter, 1/2 cup of powdered sugar, and vanilla until smoothly blended -- about 1 minute.
- stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed during mixing.
- on low speed, add the flour mixture, mixing just until it is incorporated and the dough looks smooth -- mix in the pecans until thoroughly blended.
- form this dough into a 6x 21/2" x 2 1/2" block. wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight, until it is cold and firm.
- position a rack in the middle of the oven.
- preheat the oven to 325*.
- line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- unwrap the cold dough.
- use a large sharp knife to cut the dough into eighteen 1/3" slices.
- place the cookies 1" apart on the prepared baking sheet.these cookies do not spread a lot.
- bake one sheet at a time until the edges and bottoms are lightly browned, about 23 minutes.
- cool the cookies for 5 minutes on the baking sheets, then use a wide metal spatula to transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- push the cookies close together on the rack.
- sift the 3 tbls powdered sugar over the tops to coat them lightly but evenly.
- the cookies can be stoed in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 3 days.