1/2 Photos of Super-Size Oatmeal & Raisin Cookies
This is a super-size (5 - 6 inch) cookie, the type you find at coffee shops. I toasted the oatmeal before adding them to the dough; this makes them somewhat crunchy, however, you can skip this step. Besides using raisins, you can also add chocolate pieces and or nuts.
My Private Note
6 inch ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups regular rolled oats
- 3/4 cup butter flavor shortening
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F with an oven rack in the center position.
- 2Spread the oatmeal on a baking sheet and toast them for 15 minutes, stirring them frequently, until they are pale gold in color. Let the oats cool before using.
- 3Reset the oven to 350°F.
- 4In a mixing bowl, cream the shortening until it is soft.
- 5Beat in the brown sugar and granulated sugar, beating after each addition until the mixture is fluffy.
- 6Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- 7Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and allspice.
- 8Stir the flour mixture into the creamed mixture.
- 9Stir in the cooled oats and the raisins and mix well.
- 10Use a 1/3 cup measure as a scoop and level the top of the dough.
- 11Place the mound of dough on a greased baking sheet or on parchment paper.
- 12Flatten it slightly with the palm of your hand to about 5 inches in diameter.
- 13Repeat with the remaining dough, leaving at least 2 inches between cookies after flattening.
- 14With the flat of a knife blade, push the dough inward to to make a neat edge if it has spread unevenly.
- 15Bake the cookies in the center of the preheated oven for 18 - 20 minutes, until they are firm to the touch and lightly browned around the edges.
- 16Cool on baking sheet for about 5 minutes, or until they are firm enough to be removed to a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Super-Size Oatmeal & Raisin Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1204 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 346.4
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 30.2 mg
- Sodium 299.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 31.5 g
- Protein 5.0 g