Recipe by Chef1MOM-Connie
I felt like carbs for dinner but also wanted something more than just plain spaghetti. I also needed something quick to put out for dinner as dinner was in an hour. Working parents all know this feeling.
Top Review by LinzScissors
Followed exactly as written, didn't use jalape?os, used gluten free quinoa noodles. Used Jenny o turkey meatballs for a quick and easy supper. Turned out great, both kids (3 & 14 mo.) like it. Will make again.
- 12 large meatballs (Italian sausage or ground beef, can use more to suit family needs and size of meatballs)
- 453.59 g tomato sauce
- 453.59 g crushed tomatoes (or use fresh cut up)
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 59.14 ml water
- boiling water
- 14.79 ml basil
- 14.79 ml oregano
- 4.92 ml salt
- 14.79 ml garlic powder (I use more- we love garlic, fresh garlic can be substituted)
- 226.79 g shredded mozzarella cheese
- 113.39 g shredded mozzarella cheese
- 453.59 g ziti pasta (any pasta with a grab- ridges to hold sauce)
Directions See How It's Made
- If meatballs are frozen, thaw in microwave to just warmed.
- Put tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes tomato paste, chopped onion, jalapeno pepper, 1/4 cup water, 8 oz of cheese, and seasonings in a 9 x 13 casserole dish and blend together.
- In the meantime, boil water and make noodles to al dente.
- Drain noodles, add to casserole dish and blend in, making sure sauce covers all the noodles.
- Add meatballs and gently blend in cheese.
- Sprinkle 4 oz of cheese on top, covering casserole dish.
- Put in oven at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Check for burning of cheese (may cover with aluminum foil gently to prevent some burning or browning of cheese).
- Cooking is to warm through and through and to melt cheese. If your oven cooks hot or altitude is high, adjust time in oven.
- I have also made this in a smaller casserole dish and microwaved for a faster dinner in less than 20 minutes.
- May substitute cheese flavors such as Fiesta blend, Taco blend to give another flavor.
- Measurements are not exact on spices as I eyeball them, cheese is a few handfuls in the dish and 1 handful on top.
- My meatballs are Italian sausage meatballs but can be turkey, ground beef or a mixture of any kind.
- NOTE: prep does not include boiling water.