Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
I can think of no easier way to make paint for kids to play with. This makes a chalky paint; and is excellent for painting on construction paper, side walks or even a chalk board. It will wash off of most things, though you should read the package of food coloring to see if it is washable. We use (clean) kitchen sponges as paintbrushes.
- In a large bowl mix water and starch (corn starch is a polymer and the faster you stir the thicker it gets -- weird!).
- Pour mixture into 6 smaller bowls or paint pots.
- Add 3 or 4 drops of coloring to each bowl to make the colors of the rainbow.
- Paint, stir pots frequently and GENTLY to re-mix.
- If you are painting on construction paper this should dry very fast, which is fun for impatient kids who don't like to wait for the next color.
This is a great recipe. I used this with my 6 month old so it didnt matter if she put her hands in her mouth she loved it and the pictures turned out great. I sprinkled some glitter on top of some of the pictures to add a little more sparkle and it looks great. & just washes off with water.
I have a similar recipe whowever it calls for 2 tbs corn startch and 1.5 cups water and you cook it over gentle heat until it is tickened then add the colouring
This didn't work for me, I am not sure what I could have done wrong. It was basically colored water, it never thickened up and didn't really work as paint any differently than colored water would have. The kids neverless had fun mixing the differently colored waters together.