1/4 Photos of Super Simple Macaroni and Cheese
1 hr 30 mins
This is the old 50's style comfort food my mom used to make. Very creamy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed, 1/2-1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 quart milk, whole is best. (I wouldn't worry about fat with this dish!)
- 1 -2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (Lea and Perrin's is best)
- 1 -2 teaspoon dry mustard (you can use prepared mustard in a pinch)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- breadcrumbs (optional)
- 1Melt butter in largish, heavy-bottomed saucepan over low-medium heat.
- 2Add flour, stirring with whisk or spatula until it bubbles; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- 3Do NOT let it brown. [If it browns, save it for brown gravy and start again.].
- 4Remove from heat and mix in mustard, pepper, cayenne, and Worcestershire; blend well, then add milk APPROXIMATELY ONE TABLESPOON AT A TIME until it is soupy or gloppy. This method prevents lumps.
- 5Return to medium heat and gradually add the rest of the milk, and the salt.
- 6Stir or whisk constantly until it comes to a boil (a wooden spatula is a handy tool for this); simmer one minute, always stirring.
- 7Remove from heat and add cheese; stir occasionally until all lumps of cheese disappear.
- 8This takes 5-10 minutes, but you can return it to very low heat if necessary.
- 9Note: Removing it from the heat is not absolutely necessary with Velveeta; but with natural cheese, it is best to melt it this way to avoid clumping and stringiness. Natural cheese will blend much better if it melts into the sauce off the heat, something about how the protein reacts to heat.
- 10Meanwhile, slightly undercook cook elbows in salted water in large pot and drain and return to large pot.
- 11Add sauce and mix gently with a lifting motion so the pasta isn't smashed.
- 12Place in buttered or Pammed casserole dish; I like to use an 11x15 so I get lots of surface area for the crust, but if you don't like crusty mac&cheese use a smaller, deeper pan.
- 13[At this point, or after mixing in large pot, you can refrigerate it for a couple of days if desired. Let it return to room temp or cook longer. You can also freeze, thaw, and spread in pan.] Top with bread crumbs if desired.
- 14Bake at 350F for 1 hour or until it's bubbling well and top is browned the way you like it. Mmmm.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Super Simple Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 591.2
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.3 g
- Cholesterol 92.3 mg
- Sodium 1156.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 21.5 g