Recipe by Feast Your Eyes!
Looking for something that you can pull together for lunch or dinner in a jiffy? This easy, greek-inspired gyros recipe may be the way to go. To serve: heat and split the pitas; serve the lamb, seasoned tomatoes and feta, cucumber-mint yogurt, onion, and lettuce in separate dishes. Have your family and friends stuff the warm bread pockets to their liking. ENJOY!
Top Review by GeorgieG
Trust an Aussie to know what to do with ground lamb. Very delicious and easy, but I think it takes closer to 40 min to prep and you may not have all the ingredients on hand. If I find lamb on special prep a double batch of the meat (a wok works great for this) and freeze half for a later meal.
- 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt (preferably Greek)
- 4 -5 fresh mint leaves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 pinch kosher salt
Seasoned Tomatoes and Feta
- 1 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- red wine vinegar and olive oil (to season tomatoes and feta)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground lamb
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, rub between fingers to waken flavor
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried whole thyme, rub between fingers to waken flavor
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 pita bread rounds, halved and warm (6-inch)
- 1 cup white onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 1⁄2 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix yogurt, mint, sugar and salt in a small bowl. Stir in the cucumber. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Season the diced tomato, feta cheese, and parsley with the red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat until hot. Add the ground lamb, oregano, thyme, garlic and onion powders, and black pepper; cook until browned - stirring to crumble. Drain on paper towel-lined plate.
- Transfer lamb to to a mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice and stir well.
- Warm the pita bread rounds; split open each pita half forming a pocket.
- Have everyone spoon even amounts of the lamb mixture into their pita pocket, and top with onions, lettuce, tomatoes and feta, and cucumber-mint yogurt.