Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
A quick and easy chowder that's on the table in less than 1/2 hour. I like to add some seasonings and a dash of hot sauce for a little more kick. From America's Best Recipes.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 21 ounces chicken broth
- 6 1⁄2 ounces clams, undrained
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of potato soup
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium heat; add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring constantly, until tender.
- Add broth and next 3 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in half and half, and cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated.
This was good and easy to make but I did make some changes as I too thought it was a bit thin. I used three cans of cream of potato soup and four cans of clams as hubby loves clams. I drained two and added the juice of two. I only added 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and added some mashed potato flakes to thicken it up a bit. Next time I would cut back on the chicken broth a bit. We all enjoyed this even though it was 90 degrees outside!
Not only is this recipe easy but most of the ingredients can be found in your pantry and the cream can be replaced by canned milk. I use it often and we love it1
Sure beats peeling potatoes! I thought this was good and loved how quick it was to make. I added the clams at the end (with the half and half) so they wouldn't get rubbery. I found the texture to be a bit too thin. I'd make this again, but use less chicken broth and double the clams. Thanx for a quick lunch!