Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I'm posting this recipe in response to a request, plus it looked like a very good mix to use in a variety of ways. Plus, making a batch of this could be great for gifts and/or items to sell at a craft fair or bazaar! (from the Make-a-Mix cookbook)
- 2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup sesame seeds (toasting may bring out more flavor)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon instant minced onion
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill seed
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon msg (optional)
- 3 tablespoons celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Mix well.
- Put into a 1-qt.
- airtight container.
- Store in a cool, dry place.
- Use within 3 to 4 months.
- This mix can be sprinkled over tossed green salads, baked potatoes, and various breads before toasting.
- It can also be a garnish for potato salads, macaroni/pasta salads, or egg salads.
- You can also make a dip with 2 tablespoons.
- mix and add 1 cup sour cream.
- NOTE: You could probably add dried red or green pepper for extra color and flavor too, if desired!
This is so delicious and unique! I discovered that it's wonderful on hot buttered popcorn, too! I didn't use the poppy seeds (always wondering if they're stuck in my teeth...) and I substituted onion powder for the instant minced onion, but the rest was to the letter. I did toast the sesame seeds in a dry skillet for about 5 minutes - absolutely delicious addition. In fact, I think they're one of the things that make this mix so tasty. Great recipe; will make this againa and again.
Excellent sprinkle for just about anything. I used the poppy seeds and thought they helped with the great colour of the sprinkles. I also toasted the sesame seeds. Really enjoyed the flavour of the dried onions throughout the sprinkle. I served this on salad but would love to try on potatoes or pasta as Silent Cricket suggests. I even think it would be nice melted over fish or included in breading. I've just resumitted this review to add that we grilled (broiled) this on toast for breakfast this morning with some extra cheese. Very tasty. A keeper for me.
This tastes great right out of hand! I didn't use the msg or the poppy seeds. I did use toasted sesame seeds. I used this in chicken salad and over potato soup. So good!