Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A relatively quick and easy cake, with a dynamite taste! During the school year (my husband and I are both teachers), things get a little hectic with grading exams, papers, and projects...plus my son Jake is starting pre-school in a few weeks...so I'm glad to have some fast, reliable goodies on hand that don't take too much time to make or require a lot of fuss. Try it once--you'll see;)
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Dutch processed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 325*F.
- Grease and flour a 10" fluted tube pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In another large bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Blend in the vanilla.
- In 3 additions each, beat in the flour mixture and sour cream just until combined.
- Do not overmix.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes, or until the center tests done.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan; invert onto a wire rack and cool completely.
Made it just as stated and the cake came out beautiful albeit a bit dry. That improved after a few days though. Good chocolate taste, easy to make. I am pleased to have tried it.
Thanks for posting.
WOW! Talk about yummy! So dense and chocolatey tasting! I had to use yogurt instead of sour cream because I ran out and I added a whole cup of cocoa powder instead of 3/4 cup because I like a very rich chocolate taste. I also added about 1/2 a cup of mini chocolate chips. The batter was very thick but I just spread it around the pan and didn't have any problem with it at all. This was by far the best chocolate pound cake I have ever tasted. I'll never make any other recipe! Thanks so much for posting, I'll make this again and again! (by the way, the batter was SOOOOO good! It almost tasted like chocolate mousse, I could've eaten the whole bowl!)
Loved it! I would add a little more cocoa next time though. Very nice cake.Thanks for posting this!