Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
This cake is for chocolate indulgence.
- 390 g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids is better)
- 175 g butter, Softened
- 100 g caster sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 80 g sifted plain flour
- 1⁄3 cup brandy
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Grease and line an 18 cm cake pan, dust with flour.
- Melt 300gm chocolate in a double boiler. Set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 160 Celsius.
- Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer for 5 mins until pale and creamy.
- With the motor running add the egg yolks one at a time, mixing in between to incorporate.
- Add the flour and beat to combine.
- Add the brandy, mix.
- Pour in half of the melted chocolate, beat until half incorporated.
- Fold through the rest of the chocolate.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Fold through 1/3 of the egg whites through the chocolate mixture to loosen. Fold through the rest of the egg whites, taking care no to over-mix.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake-pan and bake in the center of the oven for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Smother with chocolate ganache.