Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
A very rich body butter. Great for rough spots-hands, feet, elbows and knees.
- 1⁄3 cup shea butter (available in health food stores or store that sells soap making supplies)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon evening primrose oil or 1⁄2 teaspoon vitamin e oil
- Melt the shea butter and olive oil in the microwave.
- Let it sit for 20-30 minutes.
- Add the evening primrose or Vitamin E oil.
- After it cools, put into desired jar.
- It takes@8-10 hours (maybe more) to thicken.
I made this up and put it in a 4 oz (120 ml) plastic jar. The recipe could be cut in half. The butter is wonderful on the skin and works nicely as a lip balm. Vitamin E is wonderful on the skin, but it is also works as a preservative. With all homemade products, they usually have shelf life of approx. 2 years, when a preservative is used. I mark my jars as to what the product is and when I made it so I know when I have to use it up. I have products near my favorite chair, so I use them every evening. Evening Primrose oil is wonderful for the mature/sensitive types of skin. You could use this oil instead of the olive oil (or do half and half) Avocado and Mango butters are inter-changeable with the shea, so these butters can be used too!
I agree that this is great! I've been using Shea Butter for quite a while & Olive Oil as well, but it didn't occur to me to combine them. Sure makes the Shea Butter a lot easier to use...Thanks for the tip.
This is WONDERFUL! My feet are getting rough these days and I simply wanted to use this today. I made it in the afternoon and now it's about midnight(about 7 hours have passed since I made this). It's thickened and is awesome! I've used this on my feet and they feel wonderful! Thank you so much!