Prep 1 min
Cook 5 mins
For a no-fat gravy cooked in the microwave this is pretty good!;-) Low sodium chicken broth may be used in place of water.
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes (use only low-sodium)
- 1 pinch garlic powder (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a microwave-safe bowl heat the hot water with bouillon cubes, garlic powder (if using) and black pepper on HIGH until boiling removing once or twice to stir.
- In a small bowl or cup stir together the 1 tablespoon water with cornstarch until smooth; add to boiled broth and cook until thickened, removing once to stir.
I don't know if I did something wrong but the gravy was a pretty clear? It really is different from the usual gravy and you MUST use low sodium. But it was pretty easy to make
This is exactly as the title states--super-quick, health-conscious gravy that doesn't take up space on the stove. Hooray! I agree it isn't quite the same as gravy from pan drippings, but since I made a dish without drippings tonight I was pleased to have this tasty option. I took a hint from other reviews and only used 1 1/2 bouillion cubes since mine is full-sodium, but next time I will go ahead and use two. I think it is just a matter of personal taste. Thanks for posting; you saved the day for a lady who forgot to get the gravy fixins LOL!
This was quick, easy, tasty and went over well at my house. However, the bouillon cubes I used were VERY salty - when I make this again, I'll try to find low sodium cubes. Thanks for the posting, Kitten!