Recipe by wildschwein
This pastry can be used for both sweet and savory pies, pasties, sausage rolls, etc. It takes minutes to make and gives baked meals that perfect pastry crunch!
Top Review by Tina and Dave
Doubled this up (not a good idea as had to work twice as hard before it got too cool!) and have made lots of quiches / flans. It certainly makes good crisp pastry. Will use again!
- 500 g plain flour (i.e. 2 cups, preferably wholemeal)
- 150 ml oil or 150 ml melted fat or 150 ml melted lard or 150 ml melted butter
- 200 ml boiling water
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Place flour in mixing bowl, make a well in the center.
- Put oil and hot water in cup or jug and pour onto flour.
- Mix well until all flour is incorporated. The dough should be quite pliable.
- Allow to cool a little until you can comfortably handle it, but make sure to use while warm.
- Roll out on floured surface and use immediately.
- For Vegetarian omit animal fat or Lard.
- For Vegan omit Animal Fat, Lard or melted butter and use only oil.