Recipe by Um Safia
Serve hot or cold for a tasty vegetarian snack. Great for picnics, packed lunches, kids meals etc. PLEASE NOTE: THESE ARE BEST GRILLED/BROILED. Spray them with oil & under med/high heat.
- 800 g drained canned chick-peas
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped (cilantro)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 fresh green chile, deseeded and finely chopped
- oil (for frying)
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- salad leaves
- 4 pita breads, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Mash the chickpeas or puree coarsely in a food processor. Mix with the cumin, coriander, garlic and chilli. Season and divide into 24 pieces of equal size. Shape each piece into a ball.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and cook the balls for approximately 6 minutes each or until crisp and golden. This will probably have to be done in batches unless you have a huge pan!
- Toast the pitta breads and slit the tops. Fill with the falafel and salad leaves, spoon a little yogurt on to the top too.