Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is perfect for a college student---cheap, fast, delicious, and nutritious
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 (8 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup jarred chunky salsa
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 cups white rice
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheese (optional)
- Sauté onion and garlic in oil.
- Add beans and salsa.
- Add seasonings to taste.
- Simmer until heated through.
- Serve over rice and garnish with cheese.
This is great for taco or burrito filling. I use brown rice instead of the white rice and use it for a meatless meal for the family. Awesome and thank you Prose!
Yummy rice and beans! I am watching my sodium intake so I did rinse the beans as stated, In place of the taco spices I used dried parsley, dried oregano, paprika, 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin, black pepper and chili powder. Also used 4 clove of roasted garlic. Added a rib of celery, 2 minced Serrano's, and a 1/2 of a red bell pepper. Served over brown basmati rice with shredded cheese and a dollop of guacamole. Thanks
This was super easy and tasted as if I had spend hours making it! My DH loved it and it went very well with #179611 Oven Barbecued Baby Back Ribs. Thanks Prose for posting this delicious, easy recipe.