Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A quick supper dish - juicy chargrilled chicken escalopes served with tender spinach.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, 1 crushed, 1 left whole
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 ounces baby spinach leaves
- lemon wedge
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Slice the chicken breasts horizontally in half so you can open them out flat. Place between two layers of greaseproof paper or a cut-open freezer bag, and flatten to about 1/4in thick with a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Mix the parsley with the crushed garlic clove. Rub onto both sides of the chicken along with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Leave in a dish to marinate for as long as you have time for.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and add the spinach. Blanch for a couple of seconds until just wilted, then drain.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the whole garlic clove, sizzle for a few seconds, then add the spinach. Stir for a minute or two until cooked through. Stir in the knob of butter, and season to taste. Set aside and keep warm.
- Preheat a stovetop griddle. Place the chicken pieces on the griddle and grill for about 3 minutes on each side until beginning to colour.
- Serve with the spinach and garnish with a wedge of lemon.