Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A lighter version of Jen Rickmann's "Super! Peanut Butter Brownies". Made for the TOTM make your favorite lighter challenge.
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons reduced fat margarine
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Beat the first three ingredients until blended.
- Gradually add sugars and beat until fluffy.
- Add egg sub and cornstarch, beating well.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Stir in chocolate chips and vanilla.
- Spray a 7.5" x 11" pan with cooking spray.
- Bake 30 minutes at 350°F.
- Cool before slicing.
Great job Ms Sally, I went one step farther and used 2 Tbsp of Splenda Brown Blend for the brown sugar and replaced the regular sugar with Splenda. They are very cakey and light in texture as well as fat and sugar. For the chocolate I chopped some Hershey's Chocolate Peanut Butter Kisses into it for a real peanut butter delight :D. The down side is that they don't want to let you stop at just one. When I had eaten 3 I forced myself to pack them up and put them away *sigh*.
Thank you for giving my fatty recipe a well-deserved makeover :-) It's been years since I tried the Super! version but these were very tasty, maybe a little fluffier than I remember which is a good thing! I used Better 'n Peanut Butter, Egg Beaters and Smart Balance. A terrific lower-fat treat...thanks MsSally!
loved these. I smothered them with melted chocolate on top as well :) Yummy