Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from the Super Baby Food book; but I have mixed it up a bit to make it easier to do. It's probably as expensive as refined cereal, but has more jam-packed with nutrition and taste! Use organic ingredients when possible! Please don't feed this entire recipe to a 6-month old, and not at all to a child under 6 months. Go slowly, adding one extra ingredient each week, to make sure they aren't allergic. There is not enough iron in this cereal to satisfy a breastfed baby, so please talk to your pediatrician about drops.
- 1⁄4 cup oatmeal or 1⁄4 cup brown rice or 1⁄4 cup oats or 3 tablespoons millet
- 1 cup water
- 1 -2 ounce tofu
- 2 hard-cooked egg yolks (hard boil the egg and then peel off the shell and white)
- nutritional yeast
- pureed vegetables or pureed fruit
- grind up whatever grains you plan to use in a grinder, blender, or magic bullet--2 minutes for a beginner eater, and less as the child gets older.
- Add the water and then blend again to combine.
- Pour mixture into a pan and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and let simmer, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes.
- Let cool in the fridge for about 10-20 minutes.
- Place the tofu and egg-yolk in the blender with the cereal and blend again until smooth.
- Keeps in the fridge for about 4-5 days, so make this twice a week. Double the recipe as the child gets older, and maybe serve the tofu and eggs as a finger food instead of in the cereal.
- Optionally, before serving add any or all of the following; 1 teaspoon tahini, 1/2 teaspoon nutritional yeast, 1/8-1/4 cup pureed fruit or vegetable. Heat up in the microwave or the stove and mix together.