Recipe by Bobbie
I found this in a 1976 Sunset Hors d'oeuveres cookbook and have been making it ever since. We sometimes make a meal out of it. If you don't want to use the chorizo, you can use all ground beef.
Top Review by Blissful
This is absolutely the best nachos recipe. I was so happy to find it posted here. I've been making these nachos for my family since 1976 when Sunset magazine featured it -- my kids always ask for this for Super Bowl Sunday. We have always used Silva's linguica instead of the chorizo. Definitely a keeper!
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 2 (16 ounce) cans refried beans
- 1 (4 ounce) green chilies, chopped
- 3 cups shredded monterey jack cheese (or shredded cheddar cheese)
- 3⁄4 cup taco sauce (green or red)
- taco chips
- chopped green onion
- ripe olives, sliced
- avocado dip, or
- avocado, chopped
- sour cream
- cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Crumble beef and sausage in a frying pan. Add onion and cook on high heat, stirring until meats are browned. Discard any fat; season with salt and liquid hot pepper seasoning to taste.
- Spread beans in a shallow 10 x 15 dish/pan (or other similar oven proof dish with equivilalent area). Top evenly with meat. Sprinkle chilies over bean and meat mixture, cover evenly with cheese and drizzle with taco sauce.
- Cover and chill if made ahead.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 400 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until very hot throughout.
- Remove from oven and quickly garnish with some or all of the garnishes.
- Serve with your favorite taco type chips.