Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I make this cake for my daughter who has a wheat intolerance. It's a beautiful moist cake and it's delicious by itself or iced with lemon cream cheese icing. You can replace the spelt flour for normal flour.
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups spelt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon allspice (or nutmeg or cinnamon)
- 2 cups grated carrots, firmly packed
- 1 cup walnuts (or hazelnuts)
- Whisk oil eggs and 3/4 cup of raw sugar in a large bowl.
- Stir in sifted combined dry ingredients carrot and nuts.
- Spoon batter into a greased lined tin (i use a loaf tin).
- Sprinkle with remaining raw sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven at 170°C for 40-45 minutes or until cooked.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan before removing.
This was a great recipe. I substituted the canola oil for 3/4 cup coconut oil the sugar for 3/4 cup xylitol. I added 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 cup pureed frozen pineapple and walnuts. I also added 1 tsp of baking soda rather than the 1/8 and made a birthday cake with mine and spread with cream cheese frosting and decorated with pecans. I would double the recipe to make a large sheet cake as my cake was a little flat dew to small batch, but delicious!!
I thought that this was really good. My parents and kids liked it. I added 2 tsp of vanilla, used pumpkin pie spice instead of allspice, added two tsps of fresh ground flaxseed, used 1/2 cup of coconut oil (I don't ingest canola oil), 1/2 cup of applesauce, and chopped pecans. I baked 24 cupcakes for 25 minutes on 350 F.
I LOVED this recipe. I swiched for almonds as it is all I had , and the canola oil for real organic grass fed butter (equal amount).I used the pulp I had after juicing and I added like 1 cup of water as it felt a little bit dry with just the pulp. It came out GREAT. Thank you! My little one LOVED it too .