Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Craving some tender and juicy meatballs?? Give this recipe a try! The two secrets are the extra eggs, and cooking the meatballs in the sauce, instead of pre-baking or frying them. Ground chuck or a 50/50 mix of chuck and sirloin work best for full flavor and moistness.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄3 cup romano cheese, grated
- 3 eggs
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 -8 cups tomato sauce or 6 -8 cups your favorite spaghetti sauce
- In a bowl, combine beef, bread crumbs, cheese, eggs, garlic, pepper, salt, and wine. Mix well.
- Shape mixture into 1-1/2" or 2" meatballs.
- In a large pot, bring sauce to a boil. Add meatballs one at a time, and simmer over medium-low heat for 40-45 minutes.
- Serve over pasta, or on hoagie buns for meatball subs.
These are one of, it not the best all purpose meatballs. I used 2/3rds ground chuck and 1/3rd ground pork for flavor. I've done them twice to rave reviews; once for a group of teenagers, and once for family. I used Giada's basic marinara that I thinned down with a little water and the boat motor.
These are by far the BEST meatballs I have ever tasted. Wish I could give them 10 stars. They turned out so tender and flavorful. I followed your instructions exactly and would not change a thing. All my other meatball recipes are out the door. Thanks so much for sharing, ItalianMan.