Recipe by BeachGirl
A chocolate lover's dream! The original recipe came from my mother's dearest friend. I modified the recipe to include the candy bars; however, the brownies are delicious without them - decadent with the candy bars! These are very rich, so cut into small squares.
Top Review by Mirj
I have to give this recipe 15 stars! I made it three times in less than 24 hours, changed the batch around each time, and each one was a 5 star winner! I made the first batch as per the original recipe. The second batch had me using white chocolate chips (about 12 ounces) instead of the chocolate bars, and the third batch had me grating orange rind into the brownie batter and using semi-sweet chips mixed with orange marmalade. Each batch was superb. I brought all three batches decoratively laid out on a nice plate as a gift to my hosts for Saturday lunch, and you could just tell by the looks on their faces that I'm invited back again and again. This recipe really lends itself to the imagination, I can't wait to think of (and eat) more versions!
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional) or 1 cup walnuts (optional)
- 8 ounces ghirardelli sweet dark chocolate, baking bars or 8 ounces other chocolate, bar of your choice, such as 7 oz symphony bar with almonds and toffee chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease and flour 13x9-inch pan or spray it with Bakers Joy.
- Melt the unsweetened chocolate and butter.
- Cool (see note below).
- Beat the eggs, salt, and sugar until ingredients are light and creamy.
- Fold in the chocolate/butter mixture and the vanilla.
- Add flour and beat until batter is smooth.
- If using optional nuts, fold in now.
- Pour half of batter in pan and spread to cover bottom.
- Break candy bars in half and place over batter.
- Spoon remaining batter on top and spread as evenly as possible.
- Bake 23-35 minutes or until set.
- Do not overbake.
- Cool completely.
- With serrated knife, cut into squares.
- MELTING CHOCOLATE: I place the butter and chocolate in a small glass bowl and sit the bowl on the burner to my drip coffee maker when I first start this recipe.
- It melts the chocolate to perfection, and cleanup is so easy.