1 hr 20 mins
Thanks to 1Steve for refering me to this as per my request for a diabetic-safe carrot cake to make my Baci (grandmother in Polish) for her birthday. She enjoyed it, but did note that she tasted allspice (she's not a fan). I didn't taste the cake, so I can't vouch for it. I did adapt this recipe to make it healthier and more diabetic friendly. Because of the lacking sugars, I suggest checking on the cake before 40 minutes are up. I frosted with my Mock cream Cheese Frosting. Here's a link to the original: http://www.seniormag.com/cookbook/deserts/carrotcake.htm
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 egg whites, large
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup Splenda sugar substitute, plus
- 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 1/2 cup sugar-free maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or 1 nut extract
- 7 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 1/4 cups carrots, fine shredded
- 1/3 cup walnuts (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350° F.
- 2In medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice.
- 3Set aside.
- 4In small bowl whisk together egg whites and eggbeaters.
- 5Set aside.
- 6In large bowl beat SPLENDA® Granular, maple syrup, vanilla, and applesauce.
- 7Mix in egg mixture, stir until well mixed.
- 8Stir in flour mixture, then carrots and walnuts (if using).
- 9Pour into greased 8 cup loaf pan (an 8x8 will do) and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- 10Allow to cool, ice if desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Super-Moist Diabetic Spiced Carrot Cake
Serving Size: 1 (87 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 76.1
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 319.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sugar-free maple syrup