Recipe by nomnom
Thanks to 1Steve for refering me to this as per my request for a diabetic-safe carrot cake to make my Baci (grandmother in Polish) for her birthday. She enjoyed it, but did note that she tasted allspice (she's not a fan). I didn't taste the cake, so I can't vouch for it. I did adapt this recipe to make it healthier and more diabetic friendly. Because of the lacking sugars, I suggest checking on the cake before 40 minutes are up. I frosted with my Mock cream Cheese Frosting. Here's a link to the original: http://www.seniormag.com/cookbook/deserts/carrotcake.htm
Top Review by Nitny
I made this for my diabetic Mother-In-Law's Birthday. The entire family RAVED about how wonderful this was. I was nervous since I never made anything 'diabetic' before, but they've never complimented me as much on other cakes as they did this one. I did not have any egg substitute, so I put in 3 egg whites with 1 yolk. Instead of applesauce, I cut up fresh apples & put them in a blender, using about 9-10 tablespoons. And I used less than 1/4 cup of Splenda. I put it in a bundt pan and it made a very small cake, but it was extremely moist and very delicious. And it does not need any icing. It's perfect. I will definitely make this one again and again. Thanks for posting this.
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 egg whites, large
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute, plus
- 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup sugar-free maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or 1 nut extract
- 7 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 1⁄4 cups carrots, fine shredded
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice.
- Set aside.
- In small bowl whisk together egg whites and eggbeaters.
- Set aside.
- In large bowl beat SPLENDA® Granular, maple syrup, vanilla, and applesauce.
- Mix in egg mixture, stir until well mixed.
- Stir in flour mixture, then carrots and walnuts (if using).
- Pour into greased 8 cup loaf pan (an 8x8 will do) and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool, ice if desired.