Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
My children call this 'cornbread cake'. It is very moist - melts in your mouth. Very easy to prepare.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 9 by 13 pan.
- To sour the milk: Bring milk to room temperature (I put it the microwave for a few seconds). Add 2 Tbls vinegar.
- Once the milk starts to curdle, add the baking soda.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Add eggs and beat until well blended. Stir in the sour milk and baking soda mixture. Add the cornmeal, flour and salt and stir to combine making sure a few lumps are left. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 35 - 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- For the topping: Add honey to softened butter and combine well. Spread evenly over the top of the hot cornbread.
I'm always trying new cornbread recipes and this one is a keeper! Chewy, moist texture was a hit with my family. I cut the recipe in half, but followed the directions exactly. I definitely recommend using the topping too. Might have more calories, but it was delicious!