Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Some people like to cheat and eat the warm cookies and cakes. Don't do that with this one, it needs to cool, but once it does.... Trust me, this will be thee best spelt cake you've ever had. It's so spongy, moist, and decadent. For the cocoa powder, use Green and Blacks Organic Cocoa Powder.
- 473.18 ml raw sugar
- 414.03 ml spelt flour
- 177.44 ml cocoa powder
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 7.39 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 236.59 ml milk or 236.59 ml rice milk
- 118.29 ml melted butter
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 236.59 ml boiling water
- Heat oven to 350°F Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.
- ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350°F Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.
- THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans. Heat oven to 350°F Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.
- BUNDT CAKE: Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Heat oven to 350°F Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost.
- CUPCAKES: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350°F Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.
These did NOT bake up well for me at all. The batter looked beautiful until the cup of boiling water was called for. They overflowed and made a mess of the oven. I would recommend trying the recipe without the cup of water -- I bet they'll be great!
Made this for my daughters Birthday and everyone loved it. Usually spelt dries out very quickly but not this cake the leftovers were just as good as the first day. Will definitely make this cake a again
This cake is awesome and sooo moist! I have never had a problem with it over-flowing and I've made it several times and in serveral different size pans. It has almost a pudding cake texture and taste. People never even know it's whole grain until I tell them. It makes great cupcakes too. Rich and dark, I can't say enough good things about this recipe! Don't let the other reviews turn you off, you'd be missing out!