Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This chocolate cake recipe always generates a buzz at family functions and often prompts many requests for the recipe. (The frosting is courtesy of Betty Crocker). Note: If making a layer cake, please double the recipe. This also makes great cupcakes! Enjoy!
- 354.88 ml flour
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 78.07 ml cocoa
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 236.59 ml water
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- 29.58 ml vinegar
- 9.85 ml vanilla
Chocolate Cocoa Frosting
- 709.77 ml powdered sugar
- 78.07 ml butter, softened (or margarine)
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- 78.07 ml baking cocoa
- 44.37-59.16 ml milk
- Mix dry items ingredients in a bowl using a fork.
- Combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl/container.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients in a bowl mixing together with a fork.
- Transfer mixture to greased cake pan or cupcake tins.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 30 minutes. (Bake for approximately 15 minutes if making cupcakes).
- Set aside to cool before frosting.
- To begin the Chocolate Cocoa Frosting beat powdered sugar and butter until blended. (If using an electric mixer, use low speed).
- Stir in vanilla and cocoa.
- Gradually beat in just enough milk to make frosting smooth and spreadable. If frosting becomes too thin, add more powdered sugar.
there are no eggs in this.
This Rocked!!!! Super moist...super yummy! Love Love Loved it!
The perfect moist chocolate cake. After so many times trying to bake different recipes of the best chocolate cake for me, I hit it with this one and already baked using this recipe three times. I shared the cake to my co-employees and they loved it! I only lessen its sugar content of 3/4 cup instead of 1 cup because of the chocolate caramel topping I used.I also add coffee to enhance the taste. It was great!