Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
Amazing apple bread recipe, moist and dense and incredible flavor. Sorry I didn't post it sooner! I have also made it with pears, strawberries, pineapple, cherries, plums and chocolate chips! Depending on the fruit (or chocolate) I add or leave out the spices. You can also jazz it up by using different flavored yogurts. This one is a neighborhood favorite and I bake some version of it all year long. Enjoy!
- 2 cups diced apples
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup vanilla yogurt
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
For apple and pear bread I add
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla together until nice and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar.(if using spices sift them in as well)
- Add 1/2 the yogurt, mix well, add half the dry ingredients, also mixing well. Then add the remaining yogurt and dry ingredients.
- Grease and flour 2 loaf/bread pans.
- Fill them half way with batter, add 1/4 of the fruit(it is helpful to dust the fruit with flour so it doesn't all sink to the bottom), then add the remaining batter and top with the rest of the fruit.
- Bake at 350°F for 50-55 minutes. (I check at about 40 due to a temperamental oven).
- Makes two loaves and freezes like a champ!
I made this with apples and all the spices listed. It turned out very good.