Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I believe over the years the word "minestrone" has become synonymous with "hodgepodge", and was originally a very humble meal, being the cuisine of the poorer folk. This recipe is exellent and inexpensive. It is a hearty soup, and barley, rice, lentils, etc. can be added. The meat can be omitted and, if necessary, the soup can be extended with water, stock or vegetable juice. Try it with hot homemade biscuits or good whole wheat rolls.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2⁄3 cup onion, small dice
- 1⁄2 cup celery, small dice
- 1 cup cabbage, finely shredded
- 4 2⁄3 cups water
- 1 1⁄3 cups potatoes, fine dice
- 1 cup carrot, fine dice
- 2⁄3 cup zucchini, fine dice
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomatoes, mashed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 2 -3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- In a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, cook beef till no longer pink, and nicely browned.
- Drain fat.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover and simmer for about an hour, checking for seasonings along the way.