Recipe by Mirpanda
This recipe is a traditional Turkish cake that is great for morning or afternoon tea and its LOW FAT!! You can use canned or fresh cooking apples. I find using canned apples makes the cake moister and generally stays fresh longer. This recipe is great for vegans as it is egg-free and uses unrefined sugar.
Top Review by bob_strode
Used to make this cake from an old recipe book but lost it. Thanks for having it here! It's so appley - but this one is stil in the oven! So in a minute I'll re-acquaint myself - the best bit is - so much apple. Have fun. Bobby. PS Can also be made with other fruit, I use wild damsons (at the moment have hedgerow apples in).
- 675 g cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 50 g mixed nuts, chopped
- 50 g sultanas
- 100 g brown sugar
- 100 g plain flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Put the chopped apples into a large bowl and sprinkle with the lemon juice.
- Combine the nuts, sultanas, sugar, flour, salt and baking powder and mix well.
- Stir this mixture into the apples. Add in the vanilla essence and mix again.
- Pour the mixture into a lightly oiled cake tin and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned on top.
- Serve hot or cold. For a moister cake. Add to the ingredients a little fruit juice or water.