Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is a traditional Turkish cake that is great for morning or afternoon tea and its LOW FAT!! You can use canned or fresh cooking apples. I find using canned apples makes the cake moister and generally stays fresh longer. This recipe is great for vegans as it is egg-free and uses unrefined sugar.
- 675 g cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 50 g mixed nuts, chopped
- 50 g sultanas
- 100 g brown sugar
- 100 g plain flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Put the chopped apples into a large bowl and sprinkle with the lemon juice.
- Combine the nuts, sultanas, sugar, flour, salt and baking powder and mix well.
- Stir this mixture into the apples. Add in the vanilla essence and mix again.
- Pour the mixture into a lightly oiled cake tin and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned on top.
- Serve hot or cold. For a moister cake. Add to the ingredients a little fruit juice or water.
Used to make this cake from an old recipe book but lost it. Thanks for having it here! It's so appley - but this one is stil in the oven! So in a minute I'll re-acquaint myself - the best bit is - so much apple. Have fun. Bobby. PS Can also be made with other fruit, I use wild damsons (at the moment have hedgerow apples in).
I think I used too much apple and was too lazy to chop them up properly, so that may have affected it...but the taste was quite delicious
Yummy, would be great with ice cream on top. I used double the walnuts and raisins, not bad, but it really is not cake, more like cobbler