Recipe by Sass Smith
This is tart and sweet and refreshing, and EASY! No custard-making, no hours of refrigeration, although it does require an ice cream maker. Be sure to read the instructions before prepping your ingredients; this will require 2-3 lemons. From "The Perfect Scoop" by David Leibowitz.
Directions See How It's Made
- Zest lemons directly into food processor. Pour in sugar and process until the sugar is faintly lemon-colored and the zest is finely ground.
- Juice the lemons you just zested and pour the measured juice into the sugar/zest mixture. Blend until the sugar dissolves.
- Add half and half and blend. If desired you can add a few drops of yellow food coloring at this point, as the finished product is a very pale, clear, almost-yellow color.
- Chill for about an hour; the product may break up, but just stir it back together.
- Freeze in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer's directions.